Damaged Items: Save or Toss?

Sewer Backup? Call us FIRST at: (513) 352-4900

Items you can save:

MSD's cleaning professionals can assist with decisions about items that can be safely cleaned.  In general, items made of hard plastic, glass, metal, ceramic, wood or concrete can be cleaned and saved.

Examples include:

  • Bicycles
  • Tools
  • Washers and dryers
  • Plastic tubs
  • Solid wood furniture

Items located in the flooded area but not in contact with the water, such as TVs, computers, and stereo equipment, can usually be saved.

The MSD cleaning crew will move all saved items away from the flooded area. These items may be covered with plastic or put up on blocks to avoid getting wet when the floor is cleaned.

Items you should toss:

Many items cannot be adequately cleaned and disinfected after they have been contaminated with sewage.

Examples include:

  • Wet carpeting, padding
  • Wet linoleum, floor tile
  • Wet mattresses and pillows
  • Wet upholstered couches or chairs
  • Wet pressboard furnishings
  • Wet paper bags, cardboard boxes, papers, magazines, letters
  • Wet records, books, photos, pictures
  • Wet children's toys, playpens, baby bottles, blankets, etc.

Damaged property that has been approved for removal will be taken outside by the cleanup crew and placed in a truck or dumpster for off-site disposal. If you do not give permission for a damaged item(s) to be removed and disposed, you will need to indicate those items on the "Contaminated Property Release" form.

  • Contact the SBU Program

    Report a sewer backup

    Phone: (513) 352-4900
    Online: Report a sewer backup online

    If you have a sewer backup (SBU), please report it immediately. You can report sewer backups 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
    Note: SBUs must be reported within 24 hours to be eligible for reimbursement of damages.

    Get information about sewer backup prevention

    (513) 352-4288

    Filing a claim

    Start here: How to File a Claim
    Get help filing a claim: (513) 244-5100
    Just need the form? SBU Claim Form (pdf)

    SBU Ombudsman with the Legal Aid Society of Greater Cincinnati

    (513) 362-2801

SBU Site Search:

MSD Home    Customer Service    City of Cincinnati    Hamilton County    Project Groundwork

Understanding Sewer Backups

How to Prevent a Sewer Backup