Reporting a Backup

Sewer Backup? Call us FIRST at: (513) 352-4900

Call the Metropolitan Sewer District (MSD) at (513) 352-4900 to report a sewer backup (SBU).  Our call center is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  You can also report an SBU online.  Click here to report an SBU.  

When you report an SBU, you will be asked some questions so we can assist you quickly and effectively. The questions may  include:

  • In what part of your home is the problem occurring?
  • Is the water clear or not clear?
  • If there is flowing water, is it a drip or a stream?

We need clear and detailed information from you so we can evaluate your backup problem and best serve you. 

An MSD crew will be dispatched to your home.  Please note:

  • An adult age 21 or older must be at your home during the time designated for our crew to arrive. If there is no adult present when our crew arrives, your appointment will have to be rescheduled.
  • If you have pets, please have them restrained or placed outdoors before the crew arrives.

After the MSD crew has evaluated your situation, the crew leader will talk with you about the most likely cause of your backup, about what you should do next, and about what MSD will do next.  The crew will also give you written materials to help you understand your situation and what to do next.  If you are not available to speak with the crew leader, he or she will leave written materials at your door.

If you have any questions during any step of the process, please call our Customer Service Center at (513) 352-4900.

  • Contact the SBU Program

    Report a sewer backup

    Phone: (513) 352-4900
    Online: Report a sewer backup online

    If you have a sewer backup (SBU), please report it immediately. You can report sewer backups 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
    Note: SBUs must be reported within 24 hours to be eligible for reimbursement of damages.

    Get information about sewer backup prevention

    (513) 352-4288

    Filing a claim

    Start here: How to File a Claim
    Get help filing a claim: (513) 244-5100
    Just need the form? SBU Claim Form (pdf)

    SBU Ombudsman with the Legal Aid Society of Greater Cincinnati

    (513) 362-2801

SBU Site Search:

MSD Home    Customer Service    City of Cincinnati    Hamilton County    Project Groundwork

Understanding Sewer Backups

How to Prevent a Sewer Backup